Right now the political situation for the 2012 presidential election looks wide open. That said, here are some notable observations at this point in time.
* The tea party looks to be fragmenting the republicans. We a here at the point where we have just signed another 3 week CR to keep the govt running, and the House freshmen want more cuts, while boehner worries it may be too much.
* the President looks prudent in the face of Tunisia Egypt and Libya.
* no front runner has appeared on the GOP side, and only one candidate has even declared: Herman Cain.
* obama's weaknesses appear to be weakness on supporting the revolutions in Africa soon enough, and letting the congress drive the budget discussions.
* a govt shutdown does not seem likely at this point.