- Appalachian Spring, Aaron Copland. If you want to actually hear morning in America, listen to this. Leonard Bernstein once said of Copland, "He's the best we have, you know."
- Rodeo, Aaron Copland. Movement 4 was famously used for "Beef: Its what's for dinner" ads, it typifies the American energy.
- Sweet Honey in the Rock. Anything, but I have been listening to "Eyes on the Prize" to remind me that "the arc of history is long, but it bends toward justice."
- Little Light, Sturgill Simpson. Great piece of white gospel music
- American Land, Bruce Springsteen. Very wry. Also, Greetings from Asbury Park.
- Bob Dylan, Oh Mercy.
- More on the way.
Friday, November 11, 2016
Like many of my friends, the election results hit me hard. Really hard. As to why, more on this later. But I have learned that Music can be a powerful non-chemical mood altering device. For me, some kinds of Music, like early John Gorka, can send me into depression. Other music can bring me out of it. So, what follows is my recommendation for things to listen to in order to bring yourself up off the emotional floor that was this election: