Tuesday, October 25, 2022

My Ballot Picks for November 2022

 It's time once again to Vote. Here are my votes picks for the November 2022. Many of these will not be a surprise from my June picks. There are also decent voter guides here on the SCCDP website.

Local Races:

Mayor: Cindy Chavez: All Cindy All the Way. See my June picks for more detail.

Sheriff: Both Republicans. Not sure which would be worse. Bob Jonsen has some experience in Palo Alto, and Kevin Jensen was part of the Sheriff's department when all the craziness was happening. I may write-in someone.

City Council: No race in my district, but if you live downtown in D3, vote for my friend Omar Torres.

State Level

Governor:  Gavin Newsom. Proud of the work he's doing. Especially around AB2183, the Farm Worker Protection Act.

Lieutenant Governor: Eleni Kounalikis. The incumbent.

Secretary of State: Shirley N. Weber.  Very trustworthy.

Treasurer: Fiona Ma. I have met her. Competent.

Attorney General: Rob Bonta

Insurance commissioner: Ricardo Lara

Member of Board of Equalization, District 2: Sally Lieber. Former State Senator, lives in Palo Alto.

Senator, Full Term: Alex Padilla. Saw him on Oct 23. Very impressive. Proud to have him as a Senator.

Senator, Unexpired Term: Alex Padilla. See above.

Congress: ANNA Eshoo. I have met her several times, a great local person. Proud to be in her district again.

Other Congress: Zoe Lofgren, Jimmy Panetta. I am not in their districts, but I would vote for them if I could. Zoe has done historic work on the Jan 6 commission, and Jimmy's the real deal. A serious policy person.

State Assembly: Gail Pellerin. She's backed by people who share my values.

Judicial: No opinion, likely voting Yes for all of them.

School Board: Tony Thurmond, like I have in the past.

The Propositions

Prop 1: The government should not make this choice. People directly affected should. Yes.

Gaming Props

These props are a mess, but I'm in favor of adding this funding stream to state coffers. Yes there are issues that will arise, but the funding should help them be mitigated.

Prop 26: In-Person Gaming. Yes.

Prop 27: Tribal Gaming. Yes.

Other props

Prop 28: Arts and Music Funding: Yes.

Prop 29: Dialysis: I don't know.....but shouldn't SOME medical professional be on hand for something like this? Yes, I guess.

Prop 30: Millionaire tax for Air Quality. Yes.

Prop 31: Referendum on prohibiting sale of flavored tobacco. Totally irrational response: this stuff is yukky, so yes, ban it. Voting Yes.

County/City  Props

Prop I: Allow non citizens on the Planning, Civil Service, and Salary Setting Commissions; remove gender-specific language; live up to equity values. Yes.