Brevity is the soul of wit[i], and I’ll endeavor to be both.
Thank you all for coming today to share in this celebration of the Mass, and my Dad’s life. I can think of no better way to honor him than through a Mass. He was a loyal son of the Church. At he bedside, where he spent his last night at home, I found his Missal. On the cover, was the Christogram, HIS, which comes from the Latin, In Hoc Signo, or Under This Sign, a reference to Jesus[ii]. He clearly lived under this sign.
Today we mourn the passing of our Loving Husband, Father, Brother, Uncle, mentor, friend and golfing buddy; colleague; Boss.
To me he was simply my dad. A great business and community leader, to be sure, but I remember was him as a father who taught by example.
- His example of hard work, and his relentlessness
- His example of charity, especially to the Church, a certain University[iii], and to Habitat for Humanity Collier County
- His example of faith, like going to 630 mass every day during lent before going to work. Even when running a Multi-Billion $ business.[iv]
He taught the family, all of us, by his example. His example will wake up the echoes[v] for years to come.
These past two weeks have brought many happy memories of flooding back.
- Inn the seventies, mowing the lawn at 927 Cliffwood Lane, which was at a 45-degree angle, in Bermuda shorts, dark socks, and a Tshirt.
- Standing at the top of the stairs, Dad shouting “Where’s my gold pen!”. (When cleaning out his things over the past 2 weeks, I found them. Dad, they were under your desk.[vi]
- Driving a car Connecticut to Florida and listening the same Prairie Home Companion 5 times.
To: Pat, Bill and David:
I have neglected putting this together for all too long now. I guess that I haven’t been willing to face up to the fact that my old ticker has more miles on it than is normal for my model year.
[i] Shakespeare reference for Dad, who enjoyed the quotes in my thesis
[ii] IHS is also a reference to the transliterated name of Jesus from the Greek.
[iii] Ever defiant, this was needling both David and Dad a bit.
[iv] And he dragged me to Mass more than few times.
[v] And yet one must pay respect to his love for said University
[vi] This is true.
[vii] I got this, most likely, from Fr. Brendan McGuire. But Wikipedia confirms it.
[viii] I included this to create a bridge to his mother, to whom the same thing happened.